Pigeon Guano Removal Hereford - Are You In A Mess?
We’ve had a number of calls recently enquiring about our bird guano removal and cleaning services. Hereford has a significant pigeon population and pigeons create a lot of mess!
This week we’re bringing you a blog explaining why bird mess, and particularly pigeon guano, causes real problems for Herefordshire businesses and what PGM & Son Hereford can do to help. Residential customers experiencing problems with bird droppings will also find this article useful.
What is guano?
Guano is bird excrement; bird mess, droppings or plain old bird poo!
What’s the problem with bird mess?
* Birds in general can be a real nuisance in public areas
* Bird droppings on floors can cause a hazard to the public
* Birds can cause distress to those with bird phobia
* Diseases and mites in droppings pose serious health risks because pigeon guano or other bird mess can spread potentially infectious diseases such as salmonella, tuberculosis and ornithosis.
* Derelict commercial and residential buildings, roof tops, barns and ledges provide the perfect roosting ground for birds – see our photos for evidence of the mess they can make
* Cleaning costs can spiral
* Droppings are unsightly and can eat into the stone due to acid content causing long term damage to the structure of buildings
* Dead, infected birds can infect water and food sources
* Bird can be destructive and disruptive to businesses
* Birds can create a lot of mess and damage e.g. to street furniture, roofing and building structures
* Birds and bird mess can also compromise businesses during health inspections
* Bird mess presents an untidy and unprofessional image
* Ventilation systems are vulnerable to damage from bird droppings as ducts can become clogged, resulting in expensive repairs
* Bad odours and contaminants can be quickly spread throughout buildings through ventilation systems; inhaling bacteria and fungi can present health risks
Can I remove bird nests and bird droppings myself?
There are regulations in place to restrict the times of year when bird nests can be removed. For example, it is illegal to remove gulls’ nests once the gull nesting season starts.
The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) is a good source of information: https://www.rspb.org.uk/
Businesses must be aware of their legal obligations to their employees and contractors. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) provides guidance to businesses on controlling the risk to workers on sites: http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/healthrisks/hazardous-substances/harmful-micro-organisms/other-diseases.htm
PGM & SON strongly advise customers not to clean bird guano (droppings) themselves due to risk of infection / disease.
At PGM Pest Control we offer a complete bird guano cleaning services which assures customers and businesses in Hereford of:
* Clean and sanitized areas contaminated by bird guano.
* Safe removal of bird droppings.
* Comprehensive cleaning and disinfection of the affected areas.