The Pest from the West
Following the recent ‘Beast from the East’, forecasters are warning of more disruptive weather this weekend including snow, ice, rain and high winds.
Many will be dismayed at this news given the disruption caused last time which saw thousands stranded, many communities without water and damage to roads and services.
So our advice is to be prepared. And don’t drive unless it’s essential.
Our top 5 tips for staying safe in your car are:
1. Avoid driving unless essential.
2. If you do have to drive, make sure your tyres are up to standard by checking the tread.
3. Always use a good quality screen wash – poor quality screen wash will simply ice up your windows and make driving hazardous.
4. Carry basic items such as a fully charged mobile phone, warm coat and weather-proof boots, blanket, water, ice scraper and food. If you live in a rural area take a shovel and something to get your vehicle moving if it gets stuck in snow (for example, a shovel and old carpet tiles for grip).
5. Make sure your vehicle has enough petrol to get you where you need to go – a simple tip that many people overlook!
And, as a reminder, cold weather conditions bring the rodents in. Looking for food, water and harbourage, rodents will seek shelter in houses, commercial premises and out buildings.
And the reality is that, where humans live, so do rats and mice and this means that they don’t discriminate – you’ll find them in urban, suburban and rural areas.
Rodents transmit diseases common to man and also to domestic pets and livestock.
During the cold weather snap, we expect higher call-outs for rodent activity so be aware and if you need to get rid of a rat or mice problem call PGM & Son Hereford.