If you watched the item on watchdog this week about the firm in Essex, which purports to be a local firm, you’ll probably have been as outraged as we were.
Watchdog reported that the company buys local telephone numbers and advertises in different post code areas to give consumers the impression that they are in fact a local firm. Check out the programme yourself:
This particular outfit sets itself up to offer trade services, like plumbers, electricians, pest controllers etc. however, it is simply a shell firm which uses advertising power and tricks such as buying up local ‘phone numbers to attract business from consumers who need essential jobs carried out ‘round the house.
This gives the impression to an individual that they are dealing with a local firm but the reality is far from this and the programme highlighted the problems encountered by consumers.
Like you, we think practices such as this should be outlawed. Unscrupulous firms like the one in the programme should be banned from advertising in this way.
What’s the solution we hear you say?
The solution is simple; use genuine, local businesses. The benefits to the customer, the local business and the wider community are many, for example:
* The local business or, more likely sole trader, gets paid a realistic price for the job they are doing.
* By dealing with the local firm directly you will be able to manage your appointment much better – no going back and forth with a middle man.
* Local firms promote locate community ties and funds into the community.
* Local businesses know the issues you face – they live in the same communities with you, face the same problems and want to do a good job for you.
* The traders get paid for the work they do – remember they still have families to feed!
* You get peace of mind – local small businesses and sole traders still have to be fully qualified in their field and carry the appropriate licences and insurances.
* Often, local businesses can recommend other local trusted traders. So no need for you to spend hours searching online or reading bogus reviews.
Our message of the day:
Local firms and sole traders value your business. They want word of mouth business because it reduces the advertising costs for them (that these unscrupulous firms exploit) – so they will want to do a good job for you and make sure you are a satisfied customer.
For all your pest control needs, contact PGM & Son Pest Control. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01981 241334 / 07964 370480 or use or contact us page on the website for a free no-obligation quote.