Food Waste Action Week
Food Waste Action Week is an annual campaign that aims to raise awareness about the impact of food waste on the environment, economy, and society. The campaign is led by the environmental charity, WRAP (Waste and Resources Action Programme), and typically takes place in March.
During Food Waste Action Week, individuals, businesses, and organisations are encouraged to take action to reduce food waste, such as by planning meals, using up leftovers, composting food scraps, and supporting local food banks. The campaign also highlights the economic and environmental benefits of reducing food waste, such as reducing greenhouse gas emissions, saving money, and conserving natural resources.
The campaign includes a range of activities and events, including social media campaigns, educational resources, and community events, to engage individuals and businesses in food waste reduction efforts.
The goal of Food Waste Action Week is to encourage people to make small changes in their daily lives that can have a big impact on reducing food waste, creating a more sustainable food system and working together to halve food waste by 2030.
How food waste action can help with pest control
Reducing food waste is great for pest control
Pests need the right conditions to survive, and this includes food, water, and a place to live
So, tackling a food source is one of the key things you can do to control pests in a way that is less harmful to the environment
Our top tips for managing food sources for rats and mice:
When you’ve finished making meals clean up properly – wipe down sides and clean crumbs from the floors. Less mess means less to attract pests.
Invest in containers to store your food and rubbish that are secure. Keep lids on bins and cover leftovers.
DISPOSE OF IT.
Regularly empty your bins, recycle your empties and dispose of rubbish correctly.
Reduce your food waste by using less. Plan your meals in advance so you only buy what you need. Use up what you have before buying more.
REMEMBER: CLEAN IT, STORE IT, DISPOSE OF IT AND USE LESS!
WRAP is a climate action NGO working around the globe to tackle the causes of the climate crisis and give the planet a sustainable future. It was established in the UK in 2000 and now works in 40+ countries. Check out their website for some great tips on how to reduce your food waste: https://wrap.org.uk/taking-action/food-drink/actions
To reduce pests in the home or business while considering the above tips on food waste action, you can take the following steps:
1. Dispose of food waste properly: Make sure to dispose of food waste in sealed containers or in compost bins away from the building. Avoid leaving food waste out overnight, and make sure garbage cans are properly secured.
2. Keep storage areas clean: Regularly clean and sanitise storage areas like pantries, store cupboards, and refrigerators to prevent pests from finding food sources. Wipe down counters and sweep floors to eliminate crumbs and spills.
3. Don't overstock: Avoid overstocking food items and keep inventory levels to a minimum. This will reduce the chances of attracting pests.
4. Store food in airtight containers: Use airtight containers to store food and keep them sealed when not in use. This will make it more difficult for pests to detect and access the food source.
5. Regularly clean: Regularly clean the kitchen and dining areas, including dishes, counters, floors, and rubbish bins, to eliminate food debris and discourage pests from visiting.
6. Seal up entry points: Inspect the building for entry points like cracks, holes, or gaps in windows and doors, and seal them up to prevent pests from entering.
7. Hire a professional pest control service: If you have a persistent pest problem, consider hiring a pest control professional to help identify the source of the problem and provide effective solutions.
By taking these steps, you can significantly reduce the likelihood of pests entering and thriving in your home or business while also preventing food waste from becoming a pest attraction.
Taking action to reduce food waste can help prevent pests from finding and accessing food sources, making pest control efforts more effective.
If you’ve done all you can to reduce your risk of pests and you still find you have a rat, mice, cockroach or fly problem give PGM & Son Pest Control a call. For all your pest needs, call us on 01981 540088 or visit our website at www.pgmpestcontrol.co.uk or drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or visit our most popular pest control services related to food waste =
OUR FAMILY AND PET FRIENDLY TECHNOLOGIES HAVE MADE PGM & SON A LEADER IN ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY PEST CONTROL - WE ARE REDEFINING THE INDUSTRY.
Because we’re a local, family run business we genuinely care about our community. Residents of Hereford and Worcester who deal with PGM & SON recognise this in their support of our business by coming back to us in future and referring us to others.
All our technicians are highly trained and certified pest controllers.